Artificial Intelligence Team - National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
We are the Artificial Intelligence team of the Dept. of Informatics at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
We work on many aspects of Artificial Intelligence including Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, Semantic Web, Linked Geospatial Data, Deep Learning, Question Answering and Big Data. Since 2010, we have been applying these techniques to Earth observation data. Recently, we have also been working on Legal Data and Reasoning and we have developed the first platform for Greek legislation powered by Linked Data technologies. Our work has been funded by the European Commission and Greek Government sources.
See the Web page of our group for more details: http://ai.di.uoa.gr/
Description of our AI activities
1. Artificial Intelligence Technologies for Earth Observation (EO): We have developed state-of-the-art technologies and tools for managing, processing, interlinking and visualizing big linked geospatial and temporal EO data. These technological innovations have been deployed in many applications dealing with EO data e.g., data from the Sentinel satellites of the European Copernicus program.
2. Question Answering for Knowledge Graphs: We have studied the following research problems:
- Extending knowledge graphs with geospatial information.
- Geospatial question answering over knowledge graphs.
3. Artificial Intelligence for the Public Sector: We have studied how to harvest knowledge from Greek legal documents and represent and query this knowledge using ontologies and linked data. In this context we have developed deep neural network architectures for entity recognition in Greek legal documents. Also, we re-engineered the transparency portal Diavgeia of the Greek Government.
Department of Informatics & Telecommunications
University of Athens, Panepistimioupolis